Once upon a time, it was he who shouted loudest that made the most sales; but gone are the days of the toe-curling ‘buy my stuff’ marketing techniques. The only action this method attracts today is the ‘block’ button – every marketers nightmare.
In recent years, we have witnessed a tidal shift into a new era of selling and marketing products and services, and it’s called ‘Edu-preneurship’.
Edupreneurship is defined by Sarah Cordiner, as ‘profitably educating your marketplace’ – and it’s a technique she says that all businesses should be using in every industry if they want to survive in the new consumers world.
It’s no secret that the online learning industry is already a multi-billion dollar industry. Here is how business owners of all kinds can ride that wave to their advantage.
When it comes to marketing our wares, the first step is knowing what our customers want. this means that we can adapt our marketing copy, visuals and offers to be most magnetic to our target audience. But here is what most marketers and business owners then forget – what they want is not your product or service, what they want is an answer to their questions.
Whenever a customer is hovering their finger over that ‘Search’ box, they are very often about to type in a ‘How to’ question.
How do I get…’
How do I achieve…’
How to be…..’
How to have….’
How to do….’
How to not…’
How to avoid….’
How to stop….’
And here’s the clincher – they will buy from the product or service provider that can answer that question for them.
That makes every single one of us an ‘educator’.
Our primary sales and marketing strategy is about meeting the fundamental KPI of ‘educating’ our marketplace on our niche area of operation.
If you are answering their questions, you are the solution to their problems, and whatever you have, they are now highly likely to buy – after all, you’ve already helped them and they havn’t even engaged with your business yet. (We’ve all heard of that ‘reciprocation’ concept right?).
Secondly, by the very act of answering your target audience’s questions and educating them about your topic, you are physically demonstrating your capability and expertise right in front of their eyes, building immediate trust and credibility – the total opposite of traditional sales and marketing which merely ‘promises’ that you know your stuff.
With me so far?
The concept of Edupreneurship, coined by Sarah Cordiner, is this: By strategically educating our marketplace on our niche topic of expertise, and being ‘helpful’ on purpose, we automatically position our brand as the expert and go-to resource when our audience have needs in this space.
You no longer have to sell – they now come to you.
How to be helpful on purpose:
- Conduct some basic research to find out what questions your audience are asking on your topic.
- First list down your keywords – these are words that your audience might be using to find answers about your topic
- Then go to forums such as Quora and Reddit and conduct a search for those words; you can do the same on the facebook search and even inside Facebook groups
- Create a document with all of the questions you can find on your topic that you can answer and collate all your answers in your Q&A resource
- Then create multiple pieces of content answering each question – and here is my favorite methodology:
- – answer the (how to) question as a livestream on Facebook
- – download the livestream as an MP4 and upload it to YouTube, ensuring the title is ‘how to…’
- – transcribe the MP4 and create a social media post
- – take snippets of the transcription and create helpful ‘Top Tip’ image cards
- – turn the transcription into a ‘how to’ blog post
- – adapt the blog post into a guest blog article to put in front of other peoples audiences
- – put all of your answers together and create an online course – this will earn your profits, scale your business and build a highly targeted email list for your primary products and services which will sell themselves once they’ve seen how much you ‘know your stuff’ in your online course. Ironically, I have found that my online courses that give EVERYTHING away actually increase my sales for my ‘do it for you‘ services, even though the courses taught them how to do it themselves. This is because seeing how much goes into the processes of our services actually makes your customers appreciate your work and justifies the costs of those services – it’s rather a spectacular phenomenon and a must-use strategy for any type of business.
- – then add all of the above into a social media auto-posting tool, such as Buffer.com and watch your engagement and followers rise.
And as for being salesy – NOBODY gets annoyed with someone who is always being helpful. Goodbye ‘block’ button – the only thing you’ll get as an ‘edupreneur’ is likes, fans and sales; and that my friends is very good for business indeed.
If you would like to learn how Sarah used the principles of ‘Edupreneurship’ to go from homeless, to being listed as one of the Huffington Posts’ must-follow female entrepreneurs for 2017/having a 7 figure business, take Sarah’s internationally acclaimed online course ‘How To Create Your Own Online Courses: The Edupreneurs Online Bootcamp‘.
Sarah Cordiner: www.sarahcordiner.com
Huffington Posts’ ‘Top 50 Must-Follow Female Entrepreneur for 2017′. 11 years in business & education, over 6,000 students in 121 countries and multiple awards – Sarah combines education and entrepreneurship as the EDUpreneur’s internationally acclaimed leader in ‘profitably educating your marketplace’. A two-times international number 1 best-selling author, TV host, podcaster qualified educator and professional speaker.’
Subscribe to receive up to date information, training and news about edupreneurship, education, training, course creation and successful education business development from Sarah Cordiner
Let's connect! Click the links below to connect with me on social media:
Share this article with others:
Let me help you create your online courses and build a successful education-based business
There are 3 Ways To Create Your Online Courses With Sarah
Join the Edupreneur Academy and become a master course creator yourself! My academy includes my most popular online course "How To Create Profitable Online Courses". The Edupreneur Academy contains well over 30+ online courses, detailed video tutorials, templates and books (all designed and delivered by me), that will ensure you hone the skills and knowledge to create and sell your own online courses and build a successful education-based business without ever needing to hire help again! JOIN THE 30 DAY FREE TRIAL
ONE DAY SET-UP SERVICE
Let me do it all for you in my 'One Day Set Up' service. I will build your online school, set up your automatic course email sequences, design your course plan outline AND you will spend an entire day with me personally, one-on-one planning your profitable edu-business model and filming your online course. MORE ABOUT THE ONE DAY SET UP.
THE COURSE CREATION BOOTCAMP
Attend The Course Creation Bootcamp and spend 3-7 days with a small group and me personally on a face-to-face 'get it done' immersion camp. You will walk away from Bootcamp with your entire edu-business modelled out, your online course planned and filmed; your entire online school built and live, your course auto-email sequences active, a master class in becoming a go-to authority in your industry, including how to turn your course into a published book - AND 100% of my students have made SALES of their online courses before they leave Bootcamp. Find out more about BOOTCAMP
Become a master course creator. Get everything you need to know, guided tutorials and templates in the Edupreneur Academy.
Hire Sarah Cordiner for a whole day for your own personalised course creation service
Film your whole online course & build your online school on 'The Course Creation Bootcamp'
Not Sure Which Option Is Best For You?
Send me an email or book a quick chat call with me to tell me a bit more about your business and where you are at so far, and we can make a plan on the best path for you personally.
JOIN THE EDUPRENEUR ACADEMY
Learn how to create your own online school and profitable education-based business in the 'Edupreneur Academy'
In the Edupreneur Academy, you will join thousands of other online course creators.
You will get access to over 30 of my online course which will give you every step, demonstration and instruction videos you need to create your online courses, build your own, profitable online school, become a leader in your industry and create a successful education based business by sharing your expertise with the world.
You can get a 30 day FREE TRIAL today.
Have you read the 'Edupreneur' book yet?
In this book (available on Amazon in print and on Kindle), you will learn how to monetise your expertise and create a successful education based business.
OR you can get it for FREE along with 3 of my other published books when you join the Edupreneur Academy.
Get the first 30 days FREE if you join now (cancel ANY time).
Attend the next 'Course Creation Bootcamp' with Sarah Cordiner
Create your online course, film it, build your school and launch in 2 or 5 days