Join my email community
Subscribe to receive up to date information, training and news about edupreneurship, education, training, course creation and successful education business development from Sarah Cordiner
11 Ways To Engage The Left Brain Learner In Your Courses
As course creators and trainers, we need to ensure that our learning content and delivery is cognitively engaging; and in particular to both sides of our learners brains.
In order to absorb our training, our left brain learners will subconsciously break down what we are teaching them into many parts, and our right brain learners will be pulling all of the parts together to create one whole.
Without this becoming a lesson in neuroscience, course creators and educators can improve their training delivery by understanding this difference and that although learners are never wholly ‘left’ or ‘right’, they do tend to be more dominant in one side than the other; and therefore delivering to only one type will automatically exclude a large portion of your learner group.
Here are some considerations to make to be inclusive to left brain learners in your training design and delivery:
Understanding Left Brain Learners:
The way I like to remember who our left brain people are, is: “L” for logical.
Learners who are predominantly left-brained in nature are very similar to the ‘analytical’ information processing style of learning.
Here are 12 characteristics and suggestions for engaging the left brain learner in your online and offline training courses:
- Left brain learners are logical and therefore like their training courses to be linear and sequential. Make sure that you have a very clear curriculum that definitively shows every module lecture, learning outcome, and criteria that will be covered.
- Left brain learners love step by step processes. For every concept, skill, principle or theory that you are teaching, try to illustrate it with a step-by-step model.
- Left brain learners love statistics, facts, evidence and proof. The more numbers and back-up you can give to your training and every point you make, the more engaged and trusting left-brain learners will be of your training .
- Left brain learners are often very comfortable with didactic lecture-based training; so feel free to use this method with your left brain learners.
- Left brain learners love analytical exercises and activities. For example, if you are teaching a section on industry terminology you could use crosswords or word searches. If you are teaching any kind of concept or method, you could get them to conduct a research project or analytical report that compares a number of viewpoints on the matter.
- Left brain learners love detail, so ensure that you provide the opportunity for further reading and exploration on your subject as they are likely to want to investigate further.
- Ensure that you reference all sources of information, facts, figures and statistics – the left brain learner is likely to question you if you don’t.
- Ensure that your lectures and training follow a logical and progressive sequence. If the left brain learner feels like the order jumps around they will become frustrated and disengaged with your training.
- The left brain learner often prefers to work alone so that they can break down their learning in their own way.
- Left brain learners like things to be tidy, clean and orderly – so make sure that your classroom is tidy if you deliver face-to-face training. If your training is online, ensure that your lecture titles are clearly defined, well written void of spelling and grammatical errors; not only is this good practice but it will really irritate your left brain learners.
- Left brain learners like simplicity. Make sure that you have limited background noise and minimise all possible distractions in the training process. If you are delivering training online, avoid having overly distracting graphics, animations or any music in the background of your videos.
Although this is by no means an exhaustive list of methods for enhancing your online and offline training for the left-brain learner, it aims to provide you with a good starting point for engagement and inclusivity.
Share your thoughts and questions in my Facebook group: Entrepreneur to Edupreneur
Want to learn more? Get all three of my best-selling online courses in course creation, curriculum design and teacher training in this loyalty bundle!
Share this article with others:
Let's connect! Click the links below to connect with me on social media:
Let me help you create your online courses and build a successful education-based business
There are 3 Ways To Create Your Online Courses With Sarah
Join the Edupreneur Academy and become a master course creator yourself! The Edupreneur Academy contains well over 30+ online courses, detailed video tutorials, templates and books (all designed and delivered by me), that will ensure you hone the skills and knowledge to create and sell your own online courses and build a successful education-based business without ever needing to hire help again! JOIN THE 30 DAY FREE TRIAL
ONE DAY SET-UP SERVICE
Let me do it all for you in my 'One Day Set Up' service. I will build your online school, set up your automatic course email sequences, design your course plan outline AND you will spend an entire day with me personally, one-on-one planning your profitable edu-business model and filming your online course. MORE ABOUT THE ONE DAY SET UP.
THE COURSE CREATION BOOTCAMP
Attend The Course Creation Bootcamp and spend 3-7 days with a small group and me personally on a face-to-face 'get it done' immersion camp. You will walk away from Bootcamp with your entire edu-business modelled out, your online course planned and filmed; your entire online school built and live, your course auto-email sequences active, a master class in becoming a go-to authority in your industry, including how to turn your course into a published book - AND 100% of my students have made SALES of their online courses before they leave Bootcamp. Find out more about BOOTCAMP
Become a master course creator. Get everything you need to know, guided tutorials and templates in the Edupreneur Academy.
Hire Sarah Cordiner for a whole day for your own personalised course creation service
Film your whole online course & build your online school on 'The Course Creation Bootcamp'
Not Sure Which Option Is Best For You?
Send me an email or book a quick chat call with me to tell me a bit more about your business and where you are at so far, and we can make a plan on the best path for you personally.
JOIN THE EDUPRENEUR ACADEMY
Learn how to create your own online school and profitable education-based business in the 'Edupreneur Academy'
In the Edupreneur Academy, you will join thousands of other online course creators.
You will get access to over 30 of my online course which will give you every step, demonstration and instruction videos you need to create your online courses, build your own, profitable online school, become a leader in your industry and create a successful education based business by sharing your expertise with the world.
You can get a 30 day FREE TRIAL today.
Have you read the 'Edupreneur' book yet?
In this book (available on Amazon in print and on Kindle), you will learn how to monetise your expertise and create a successful education based business.
OR you can get it for FREE along with 3 of my other published books when you join the Edupreneur Academy.
Get the first 30 days FREE if you join now (cancel ANY time).
Attend the next 'Course Creation Bootcamp' with Sarah Cordiner
Create your online course, film it, build your school and launch in 2 or 5 days